Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rebuilding My VOIP Setup

For various reasons I'm in the process of rebuilding my VOIP setup from scratch. Here's what I've got working so far:

Asterisk Now (running in a Virtual Machine)

I felt that the best way to get (re)started was to set up Asterisk Now (1.6 with the FreePBX GUI) running inside a VirtualBox virtual machine (configured with bridge networking instead of the VirtualBox default NAT networking so that it appears on the LAN). I figure I can move to dedicated hardware as and when I feel the need to.

Atcom AT-320 hard phones

I was able to pick up a couple of these cheap off of ebay. They support SIP or IAX2 depending on what firmware is installed (and can be switched by replacing the firmware). While they came with the SIP firmware I was able to find the IAX2 firmware on the web and after flashing them they're now happily talking to my Asterisk virtual server.

It took a little bit of head scratching to get it all working. FreePBX seems to have some odd default security settings on new IAX2 extensions where every IP address is blocked from using an extension and the phones seem to need the Asterisk extension configured with requirecalltoken set to no in order to work.

To Do

There's still a number of things to do, including setting up some outbound routes and figuring out what to do for an FXO.

No comments: